Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Vacations

There are some great vacation spots that you can spend a full week (or longer) and never see it all. Places like France, Italy, the US West Coast are all great examples. However most vacations are probably best done in 3 or 4 day increments.

You are probably saying, "but Randy, I like to take a week off from work at a time." I say, "nonsense -- break it up!" Here's why....

I just got back from a 4 day vacation to Disney. It was all the time I needed to see and ride everything in Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot... by using the early and late hours available at the park, I didn't have to wait very long for any ride. Thus the kids never screamed or cried that they wanted to leave. We'd go to the Parks in the early morning -- leave around lunch time when we were all somewhat tired. Then after a restful afternoon by the pool or napping, we were ready for the night times at the parks.

The beach is the same way... When you have a family, you cannot spend 7 days in the sand and in the sun relaxing. Impossible. I have tried. But as a father, most of my time is going between the big waves and little waves for my kids - then to the sand to build something that resembles a castle or dig a hole.... Persaonally I'd just body surf and lay in the sun if it were up to me, but it's never up to me. So 3-4 days in, I'm DONE.

Same with vacationing with family. Day one is always great. Livations a plenty, conversation is great and everyone is having fun. By day three you know why you moved away. then on the ride home, you complain to your spouse the whole way back - then vow to never do it again. But for some reason we do.

Keep it short and sweet and call it a day.

So if you only get 2 weeks a year, and you have kids, take long weekend vacations. Leave on a Friday, come back on Tuesday's -- You'll thank me later. (You get 5 vacations for the price of 2).